Important Retake Information for the NPTE
Getting ready for your 3rd NPTE attempt?
In accordance with the 6-time lifetime limit, candidates are able to take the National Physical Therapy (NPTE) a maximum of 6 times per exam level.
Based on evidence we have from test scores since 2008, candidates who have failed the NPTE twice or more are unlikely to pass on any subsequent attempt. Our evidence suggests that those who do pass have participated in substantial remediation and physical therapy education.
Potential resources and remediation options you may want to consider include the following:
- Request a performance feedback report from FSBPT. This detailed diagnostic report helps you identify your strengths and weaknesses so you know what content areas to study.
- Review the NPTE content outline (http://www.fsbpt.org/FreeResources/NPTEDevelopment/NPTEContent.aspx). The content outline provides information about what type of content will be on the exam, and in what proportion.
- Take FSBPT’s practice exam and assessment tool (PEAT).
- For candidates educated outside of the United States, completing a program that assesses and remediates a candidate’s strengths and weaknesses relative to a CAPTE-equivalent education.
- For candidates who do not speak English as a first language, remediation that focuses on improving English communication skills, and achieving at least the FSBPT recommended minimum scores on each section of the TOEFL (http://www.ets.org/toefl). Minimum score requirements can be found at www.fsbpt.org/eligibility.
Other activities may supplement these remediation and educational opportunities, such as working with a licensed Physical Therapist or PT educator, or attending a credible NPTE preparation course.
FSBPT cannot guarantee that any or all of these activities will ensure a passing score on future NPTEs. Our goal is to provide you with information and options. It is your responsibility to determine appropriate remediation activities.
More information on FSBPT’s eligibility policies can be found at www.fsbpt.org/eligibility